July 9, 2012

Cody Robbins Band - June 30, 2012

The second full day of my trip was also the second and final night of my friends' annual party. After sleeping most of the day away recovering from the night before, we were ready to party when the sun went down and it cooled off a little. The band that night was the Cody Robbins Band. He'd played this party last year so since then I have been hearing about how much fun it was, which is exactly why I had to go this year to see what all the fuss was about.

Friday night was already a blast, so Saturday night had a lot to compete with. CRB was just plain fun. They are rowdy honky-tonkers that were perfectly in place at this shindig. The band is made up of Cody's friends, his dad on steel guitar and his sweet mama was selling merch and socializing with everyone. It was a family affair, but everyone was there for the same reason - to have a good time.

Cody played his own songs from his CD, which I'd heard over and over at parties in Lubbock in the past year, and lots of covers. We were all there to have fun and dance and get "country drunk" and this band was the perfect fit. We danced and drank until some people couldn't even stand up. They played all the good songs that people love to sing along to. I can't even tell you what all songs were covered but I know I heard the "Bertrand family anthem," David Allan Coe's "You Never Even Called Me By My Name," and at one point I think they even did "Pumped Up Kicks." Seriously.

The entire band was good, too. They played a few sets and partied with us in-between. I hope they come back next year and I bet we keep playing their songs until then. For a good time, go see the Cody Robbins Band when you get a chance. If you like Kevin Fowler, Mark McKinney or Casey Donahue, you will love Cody Robbins band.

How can you not have fun when the band is playing on a trailer in the middle of nowhere?

Even old Uncle Lester partied till the sun came up.


Check them out!
codyrobbinsband.com
reverbnation.com/codyrobbinsband
facebook.com/codyrobbinsband
twitter.com/CodyRobbinsBand

Everybody's favorite:

1 comment: