May 8, 2012

New Music!

Makes me happy.

Nothing like waking up and having not one but TWO new albums to download.

Turnpike Troubadours' Goodbye Normal Street and Pat Green's Songs We Wish We'd Written II came out today!

I've been waiting on both of these for a while and for two very different reasons. I've been dying to hear more from Turnpike (not to mention my Turnpike "fetish") and I knew this album would be every bit as good as the last two they put out in the past few years. On the other hand, I've been mad at Pat Green for a while. He was one of my first Texas Country loves when I was in 7th grade and he was in his hay day. Then he sold out to Nashville like none other has sold out before.

I feel like Pat's finally had his big "come to Jesus meeting" and Songs II is his big homecoming. Kicking it off with his first single, Austin, was genius on his part because it was basically his chance to own up to selling out and admitting that he is back with a vengeance. A full album of nothing but cover songs has to be intimidating, but it proves where his roots are and that he knows where his fame really came from. After listening to the album in full, I am pleased. It sounds like the classic Pat Green I fell in love with in Jr. High. This will be in my rotation for a while considering that I STILL listen to Lucky Ones and Three Days on a regular basis. He passes!

As for Goodbye Normal Street, there was a lot of hype about this album, and for good reason. I listened to it in full getting ready this morning and I loved every song. I am always impressed with Evan Felker's songwriting. The way he describes the most simple situation shows his true talent. He can illustrate emotions and tell stories that he has never even experienced (like in Southeastern Son, a song about a lonely soldier in Afghanistan) and he can make a sad sad song about death into an upbeat bluegrass-y tune that just makes you wanna go dancing (Before the Devil Knows We're Dead). I think on first glance, I love Good Lord Lorrie and of course, the first single Gin, Smoke, Lies is just badass. This is one of those CDs where every time I listen to it in a different mood, I'll have a different favorite song. They have definitely kept their old sound, but improved on it even more. They just solidified their place as the next big thing in Texas/Red Dirt music (as if we didn't already know that).

I'm sure there's tons of real grown-up reviews of these two CDs out there by people who know about stuff like patterns and 3/4 time and what instruments make what sounds. So if you're into that, go read them, I always do. But all I know is what I like so I don't try to sound smarter than I am. Both of the albums are incredible and I highly recommend BUYING them. You won't regret it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment