May 7, 2012

Best LJT 2012 Performance

Last week I posted a recap of my trip to LJT and said I would have to come back and post about the Josh Weathers performance that shook the earth. Well, ever since I left LJT, all i have listened to is Josh Weathers. I now own all the CDs and have listened to them all countless times.

Before LJT I had really no clue that Josh Weathers was anything other than a name. I'd never really listened to him and certainly hadn't seen him live or heard him on the radio. I mentioned before how when he was playing I was pouting and pissy because the people I was with had lollygagged and made me miss the Damn Quails. I was listening to Josh and was impressed but wasn't paying that much attention. But still, it didn't take long for Carter and I to determine that he was in fact surprisingly good and sounded like a cross between Uncle Lucius (good) and Jonathan Tyler (amazing). We were impressed enough at that point to know we needed to do some homework when we got home, but it wasn't until the next song that we realized we would become H-U-G-E fans overnight (or in the matter of minutes). At one point he was just running all over the stage, pouring his heart and soul into a song and then....


THEN.... then. He did this:



At first I was like.... ummm, really? I mean I know it's a Dolly Parton song but Whitney Houston just died and I am so over that song. But then it just got better and better. And then he got a standing ovation. At the acoustic stage at Larry Joe Taylor. I didn't even know that was possible. And then, he's just such a good entertainer and so engaging, he got everyone to stay standing for the rest of his set. I think every person there had chills an even the drunk and hungover ones who weren't paying attention paid attention to him after that. I don't think I've ever heard a guy sing I Will Always Love You before, and normally I would think that was a joke, but after seeing that, well, Dolly better watch out. The boy's got the voice of an angel, and the soul to match. I will be buying every song he makes for the rest of his life. I hope he come somewhere I can see him again soon. If not, I guess I'll just have to go to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment