December 30, 2011

Suds-n-Sounds and other weekend shenanigans


*Originally posted July 11, 2011*

This weekend was, as usual for me, chock-full of places to be and people to see. It was the weekend of a family reunion, a friend's wedding shower and the huge party/concert Suds-n-Sounds in Nazareth that I wouldn't miss for the world. I was wondering how on earth we were going to pack it all into one weekend, but of course, I found a way! It was interesting, but I didn't really walk away with any crazy and hilarious stories to tell like I usually do after weekend like this. I guess that's a good thing?

I kicked off the weekend by going out to my Great-Aunt and Uncle's house Friday night for a much-dreaded family supper for the beginning of the reunion. There was going to be cousins there that I hadn't seen in about 12 years and I wasn't really looking forward to catching up with them. Based on their Christmas cards we receive each year, I didn't think we could possibly have that much in common to talk about. I mean, we weren't even facebook friends! Soon enough though, my sister and I got shoved into the kids table with them and we got them talking. 

It didn't take long for me to pin them as major city-slickers when I asked them what kind of music they like... because that's the first thing I ask anyone I know nothing about.

Boy cousin - "Indie, Rock, Rap, you know, stuff like that."
Me - "Do yall ever listen to Texas Country?"
Girl cousin - "Umm, well like I know who Jason Aldean is."

oh.hell.no

By that time we were getting really tired of being in the house with all the decrepit people and were looking for something to do that was more our speed. The rest of the family was drinking wine, beer and mixed drinks, so I started dropping lines here and there, rather than just saying "So, do yall drink??" with thier parents sitting right there. I eventually got the gist that they do and it was about that time we remembered our town had just gone wet.

So, we loaded up and headed into town and we bought about 6 bottles of the fancy stuff, aka Boone's Farm, and some Four Lokos for the boy who is too tough for fancy wine.
  
As soon as we got back to the house out in the country, we laid down my tailgate and blasted some Texas Music on the radio and showed these city kids how it's done. I'm sure they've never drank Boone's Farm out in the country in the bed of a pickup, but now they can say they have. They think they're all sorts of cultured from living in the city, but this weekend they attended their first county roping and ate their first Allsups burrito. They are now officially cultured by my standards.


The next morning we had to go to a wedding shower, then had lunch for the boring-est part of the reunion. When that was all said and done my sister and I and two of her friends headed up to Nazareth, Texas for Suds and Sounds. I met several new people and got to catch up with lots of friends I hadn't seen in a long time. Some of them were from high school, and some of them were from college and it was good to see all of them. For the majority of the night I hung out with were a few of my new friends from Munday and we danced, played beer pong with strangers and made fun of lots of people who had a little too much fun. I finally get to mark the Hogg Maulies and Eleven Hundred Springs (or 'leven Hunrd Sprangs' as I was accused of calling them) off my band bucket list. We finally decided to get some "sleep" when the sun started coming up around 5am but we woke up maybe an hour later to take the tent down and head home.

All in all it was a great weekend and, needless to say, I spent Sunday taking plenty of naps and rehydrating in the pool. This is what summer is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment