December 30, 2011

Bands I Love: Dirty River Boys


*Originally posted June 2, 2011*

A few nights ago one of college friends texted me. Aside from being one of the funniest people I know, he is also one of the few friends I have that can hold a conversation with me about music and actually know most of the artists I bring up. He asked me if I had ever heard of the Dirty River Boys, and while I knew the name was familiar, I had to look them up to see why. My memory was quickly jogged when I saw the song Carnival Lights. I had recently heard it on the local Texas Country station in Lubbock and I had put them on my list of people to check out.

My friend had met one of the band members the other night and was given a CD. You see, my friend had the coolest summer job ever... an internship with the PBR in Colorado, and other than having to live in cold Colorado, it seems like a pretty cool job, based on the people he gets to meet (umm.. bull riders ;)). So basically he wanted to rub it in that he got to party with one of the Dirty River Boys.

Not really, I think he really wanted to talk music with someone he knew could talk the talk! The rest of our conversation went like this:

Him: Pure awesomeness. If old crow [medicine show] and turnpike [troubadours] had a baby this would be it. That baby would smoke weed, chug pendleton whiskey and play the mandolin.... simultaneously.

Then I laughed for 12 years, immediately went and bought the CD once I realized that I couldn't just go burn his, what with him being a couple states away and all, and I have been listening to them ever since. I'm hooked!

I adore the song Carnival Lights, which would come as no surprise to anyone who knows me. Pretty much anything dealing with carnivals, circuses, carnies, gypsies... for some reason always attracts me. It's just something I can't explain. Their sound is so unique and raw. And it goes beyond that, the song writing and harmonizing is phenomenal. I can't wait to see them live. They will be in town July 12, but I'm thinking I might should be a good friend and wait for my friend to move back to Lubbock so he can go see them with me.

Or I could go by myself and rub it in his face! We shall see!


No comments:

Post a Comment