December 30, 2011

What I Listen To

*Originally posted June 16, 2011*

These past two weeks, I have been driving back and forth from my hometown to work in Lubbock. It's about a 45 minute drive and while I do miss the extra hour of sleep I could get if I lived in Lubbock, I really don't mind the drive. I enjoy it, actually. It's like I get two mini road trips every day, and we all know how much I love road trips. It wakes me up and even though I'm pretty spent by the end of the day, that hour drive back home isn't too bad.

What I really love about my commute is that it's my time to listen to the radio, my iPod, or new CDs and really get to listen. I am lucky enough to live in an area with some great radio stations. In the DFW, Austin and San Antonio part of Texas, decent radio stations are easier to come by, but out here in West Texas, anything worth listening to is few and far between. However, my hometown has it's own radio station,  which is sort of unusual for such a small town to have a good station. They play a mix of about 30 percent mainstream country and 70 percent Texas Country. This is the same station I did my internship with last summer, which was a blast. They have a live (or recorded-live) show with a Texas artist every Wednesday at 5, so that is the perfect time for me to catch it on my way home. I can generally listen to this station from the time I leave my driveway until I'm just a few miles out of Lubbock, which is when I switch to 105.3 True Country.

This station is 100% Texas Country/Red Dirt, with a few classic Waylon, Willie, and my boy, Steve Earle songs thrown in the mix. They also do a really great job at giving local artists some airplay and they coordinate with Lubbock's band-favorite bar, The Blue Light. I have a love/hate relationship with their DJs though. Sometimes they entertain me and other times they annoy the crap out of me. Maybe I'm just jealous because they have my dream job.

When I get to work, my day consists of sitting behind a computer in an office by myself for the majority of the day. I love my job, but I cannot stand any amount of silence, so when someone isn't in my office entertaining me, I ALWAYS have music playing. Some days, I will listen to one of the those stations online. But usually I get sick of hearing the DJs and commercials chattering while I am trying to Facebook stalk work, so I like to mix it up. Sometimes I switch it over to my Pandora playlist, find the website of whatever band I am currently obsessing over and listen to their tracks all day, or sometimes listen to the Drop on Galleywinter. If there's something specific I need to hear, I go to iTunes on my computer which has been contributed to by a few past interns and myself so it has a little bit of everything.

Needless to say, I could never make it through a single day without some red dirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment