January 4, 2012

Favorite 10 of '11

Everywhere I look, there are lists of the best songs of 2011. It has really gotten me thinking so I guess I should do a list of my own. I obviously don't know jack about music or what goes into a song so my list isn't about which one is the "best" or whatever, it's just a list of the albums I listened to the most. If I played the CD over and over without getting sick of it, it's on this list. Albums with staying power are few and far between and with bands putting out new music as frequently as they do (with the exception of Stoney LaRue, wtf man?), it's kind of a big deal if I listen to any album all the way through more than 2 or 3 times. So, here goes nothin'.


10- Reckless Kelly, Good Luck and True Love
I wasn't the biggest fan of the last album they put out, but I felt like this one went back to the true Reckless Kelly sound.




9- Brandon Rhyder, Live at Billy Bob's
I love Brandon Rhyder so this one is a no-brainer to me. I love the mix of old and new songs and I think Shine is probably the most played song on my Spotify.




8- Adam Hood, The Shape of Things
Just plain fun, love just about every song on it. This Alabama boy brings a different groove (no pun intended) to Texas music.




7- Stoney LaRue, Velvet
I think a lot of people were disappointed that it wasn't old-school Stoney circa Oklahoma Breakdown and One Chord Song, but after waiting more than 6 years for an album I would expect something completely new, which is what we got and I approve! (The autographed CD thanks to Galleywinter didn't hurt either...)




6- Sunny Sweeney, Concrete
This album has everything a girl needs, and probably lots of guys too. I think it's great that she's taking her music nation-wide because music like this needs to be shared and the more the merrier. No pop-country-glitter-and-glam here, she's the real deal. (And I'd love to tap into her stash of Merle Haggard tshirts..)




5- Cody Canada and the Departed, This is Indian Land
This filled the void in my heart where Ragweed used to be. Also one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Can't wait to hear more from these guys.




4- Rich O'Toole, Kiss of a Liar
Definitely his best album yet. This one got me through many long days driving to and from work this past summer and I still love to listen to it.




3- Miranda Lambert, Four the Record
Anything Miranda touches turns to gold and this was her year for sure. It will be a long, long time before I put this CD down.




2- The Damn Quails, Down the Hatch
The best new act of 2011. If you need to hear anything else, go read every.single.other.list because I promise they are in the top 5.




1- Whiskey Myers, Firewater
I think this one is going unnoticed in all these lists because it was released earlier in the year, but I still listen to it weekly. I love every song on it and it will never get old. I'm pretty sure it was the only thing I listened to for months after it came out and I will still be listening to it for years to come. No doubt that it was my number 1 album of 2011.


Honorable mentions: Pistol Annies, Hell on Heels; Micky and the Motorcars, Raise My Glass; Mike McClure, Fifty Billion;  Hayes Carll, KMAG YOYO; Zack Walther Band, Into the Fray; Ryan Beaver, Constant.

No comments:

Post a Comment