December 29, 2011

Bands I Love: Six Market Blvd.


*Originally posted April 7, 2011*

Another music obsession I've had for quite some time now is a new band called Six Market Blvd. I first heard of them last summer when I was working at the radio station in my hometown. We had a huge stack of free CDs, and I would normally grab a handful of them from time to time and give them a listen. This one knocked me off my feet. For the guys to be so young, they have a timeless and polished sound. They only have one album out, Running On Seven. Every single song on it is amazing. Their sound varies so much from song to song and the album never gets old. Whenever I get stuck in a rut with my iPod or get sick of the radio, I can pop in their CD and just get lost in it for days. Even after months and months of wearing Running On Seven out, there is not a single song I skip over or favor more than another.

With two lead guitars, plus another guitar, bass and drums making up the band, and three of the guys singing vocals, unique harmonies are a trademark for 6MB.

To me, their sound is like a 1970s rock band, and an 80s pop band put together. They blend country, old-school Rock 'n' Roll and Americana. Some songs sound sort of like Ragweed, some haunt the likes of Pink Floyd and others have a more Honky-Tonk Gary Stewart feel. Very vintage.  I feel like these guys are going to skyrocket in the next few years.

6MB's music soulful, even in their upbeat jam, Ready to Throw, you can still feel it. It's impossible for me to pick a favorite song because I get such a different feeling with every song -- and if you know me, you know that is what I look for in music. It's gotta be REAL.

I could not be more pleased with this band. I hope I will get to see them soon and I hope they keep on rockin'. I would love to hear another album soon, but for now, this one is still entertaining me.

Here's a link to their website:


Here is a video of them performing 'Misery In Me" at Mount Vernon Studios in Lubbock.

No comments:

Post a Comment