August 21, 2012

New Music from Charlie Shafter

I cannot be trusted in Hastings. They have a Texas music section and I always wind up grabbing random CDs and spending way more money than I have business spending. That happened to me a couple summers ago and one of the CDs I grabbed was Charlie Shafter's 17th and Chicago. I had only heard his name, didn't really know anything about him or any of his music, but after listening to the first song, "Not My Girl," and a few spins of the entire album later, I've been hooked ever since.

Shafter's new self-titled album came out today and I've been listening to it all day at work. I know I harp on people all the time about how important it is to BUY music and I highly encourage you to buy this and really listen to it, you won't be sorry. I usually "try it out" on Spotify at first, listening at work to see if anything jumps out at me. Then when I go home, if I find myself wanting to hear more I'll buy the whole album. I probably would have bought this one after the first listen but sadly after blowing all my money over weekend it will have to wait till payday. So you can place bets now on what I'll be doing first thing Friday morning.

I got the chance to see Shafter at Blue Light Friday night (after an awesome performance from the one and only Screamin' K Phillips and his band The Concho Pearls). I flew solo that night and ended up knowing what felt like everybody there. It was my first time seeing both bands and I was impressed with everything I heard and so was everybody else I talked to. Great night all-in-all!

(I think this is my favorite song so far. But that's all I'm giving you - go buy it for yourself now.)


No comments:

Post a Comment