March 7, 2013

Throwback - Don Williams


Sorry posts have been few and far between... I've been in Houston all week at the Livestock Show and Rodeo. I've seen music that's been good, bad and ugly so hopefully next week I can catch up. Thanks to my friend JNJ for saving me with another Throwback! (Also, this is my first post to do from my phone so sorry if there are any glitches I didn't catch.)

Don Williams, the "Gentle Giant", is a true country icon.  A member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, Don has been writing and singing songs for 50 years.  His smooth, gentle voice is like no other.  He has had a string of top ten hits.  In fact, out of 46 singles released, only 4 didn't make it into the top ten.  Born in Floydada, better known as being the home of The Arrogant Texan, his family moved to Portland, Texas.  He started performing at the early age of 3, and has been pleasing crowds ever since.

I was fortunate to get to see Don perform in Ft. Worth about 8 years ago.  But that's not the whole story. My daughter Jera, 16 at the time, wanted me to take her and her best friend Jenny to Ft. Worth to see Don play for her birthday.  The concert was amazing!   For a artist to appeal to such a wide age group, from my dad to my daughter, speaks volumes to the timeless words he has written and the soothing voice he uses to tell the stories.  

Enjoy!

Some Broken Hearts Never Mend:



Tulsa Time:



You are my best friend:



No comments:

Post a Comment