March 19, 2013

Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park

It's here, it's HERE!!!


I have been waiting on this record for years. I remember being a Kacey Musgraves fan all the way back to when she was on Nashville Star way back in 2007. She only placed seventh, but she was my favorite because she was from Texas. Then several years later her voiced showed up on Josh Abbott's, "Oh, Tonight." About a year and a half ago at a JAB concert here in Lubbock (for KA Kalf Fry, I think), she came out on stage to sing that song with him and she stayed on to sing a song she wrote called "Mama's Broken Heart," which is now Miranda Lambert's current single. I have been stalking Kacey on YouTube for a long time so I knew it and I sang along and nobody I knew had a clue who she was. (Cool story bro.)

I can't wait to see where this album takes her. I think she is going to shake things up in mainstream country music. A lot of her songs are about small town life. But like, the REAL small town life. You know, ex-husband's in the pen and dead-end waitress jobs and trailer parks. Not one mention of dirt roads, beer drinkin or tractors. She doesn't even have to name drop on this album, but if she did, it wouldn't be Joe Diffie, it would be John Prine (who most "country" fans will have to Google anyway). Her songwriting is so fresh and creative and 100% what country music needs right now, in my humble opinion.

This record is about the lyrics. The band isn't overplayed and her vocals aren't going to blow you away. It makes it so much easier to focus on the writing, which is the real star here. And honestly, some of her songs that I would consider her best didn't even make the record. Go look her up on YouTube and see what I mean. (I helped you out already with a few links up above.)

Right now the newness of Same Trailer Different Park hasn't worn off but I guarantee it's in the running for my favorite album of 2013, and it's only March. "Blowing Smoke" is my favorite right now because I can relate to it the most. "Stupid" is as catchy as any Nashville radio hit but with more substance. Then there's "Follow You Arrow," and if you don't like that song, then you're the exact person who needs to hear it - same goes for "Silver Lining." Of course by now every one has heard and loves "Merry Go 'Round." "Dandelion" is Kacey's clever songwriting at it's finest, and "My House" is like the more upbeat version of Miranda's "Airstream Song," which I doodle the lyrics of on my notes every day along with my airstream day dream.

Go buy this record. I won't even tell you to preview it first because you need to just buy it and listen to it.

(I love hearing the crowd's reaction on this video.)

Oh, and did I mention she's adorable??

No comments:

Post a Comment