October 12, 2012

Erick Willis - "Landslide" and a song with no name...



So, Josh Weathers and Sean McConnell had a baby.


His name is Erick Willis.

I remember the first time I saw him. It was after an acoustic Jonathan Tyler show this summer and afterwards Erick, Red Shahan, and Brandon Adams did some acoustic song-swapping and I've been hooked ever since. I've heard him on Texas Red Dirt Roads and he's getting a lot of attention in Fort Worth and across Texas recently. My friend Carter is also a big fan so when we heard he would be doing a full band show in Lubbock we knew we couldn't miss it.

And thank God we didn't. I've never seen him with a full band, and as much as I love him acoustic, this just added to it.

Erick played lots of songs I've never heard as well as all the ones we downloaded off YouTube in the past few months that TXRDR added. I'm ready for his EP which I think he told me is coming out in the next few months but I can't really remember because I was too busy checking out his tattoos.

In the middle of his set he kicked the band off stage and did a few acoustic covers. Thank goodness because that meant my friend Carter could quit screaming "LANDSLIDE!!" He covered that one first, which I recorded on my iPhone because it is amazing and I want everyone and their dog to hear it.


(If you hear somebody cussing and singing along in the background, it's not me.)

He covered a few others like Ray LaMontagne and Red Shahan's "Broke Down Dreams" and did a really cool acoustic version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." Then the rest of the band came up and they did what may be my new favorite song, but when I asked him what it's called, he said it doesn't have a name yet. But I will tell you it's badass and if I could play guitar and write a song, that's what it would be. Another favorite moment was when he did a duet ("That Makes Two of Us") with Tori Vasquez who opened for him. I had never seen her before, but I had heard a lot and I was not let down. She can play that guitar and is a powerhouse.

Here's my new favorite song, "The Song with No Name."


Check him out here, on Twitter and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment