September 29, 2012

Corb Lund at the Blue Light 9/26/12

This has been one hell of a week. Every day has seemed like Friday. Probably because I've been waiting on this Friday for months. Last night I saw the Damn Quails but on the most badass show at the Blue Light and a new CD is on the horizon (next summer hopefully, still not soon enough). Their new stuff is kick-ass. Tonight the Departed is playing Lubbock Music Fest and I could not be more excited... I could go on but I'll just re-live it here next week.

I got to see Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans Wednesday night. That made for a pretty awful Thursday morning, but it was worth it. Corb showed up rocking his usual punchy cowboy hat with a green hockey jersey. That's not something you see every day in Lubbock. But then again it's not every day there's a Canadian country music superstar at Blue Light either. My friend Carter decided it would be cool to give him shit about it the jersey and I guess it got to him because when Corb hit the stage he was in a regular brown t-shirt.

Terrible picture but that's all I got.
I almost didn't go but I'm glad I did. I didn't realize how much of his music I actually knew. Cabin Fever has been in my rotation a lot here lately so I guess it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

Favorite moments of the night:
"Cows Around" - Like the cattle breed version of Johnny Cash's "I've Been Everywhere."
"Bible on the Dash" - Recorded on the album with Hayes Carll which only makes it better.
"Time to Switch to Whiskey" - Yup, like the Kyle Bennett song. Corb actually wrote it and made it famous in Canada before most of us in Texas ever heard it. Corb's is way better and who doesn't love screaming the RYE WHISKEY RYE WHISKEY part over and over?



No comments:

Post a Comment